Wednesday 21 March 2012

Time.

As I pass the halfway point in this European adventure, I have many mixed feelings. In some ways, I'm just getting acclimated. I've found my favorite streets, and places to eat, and views of the city. I recognize faces on the way to work and I wonder if they recognize me. But there's still much to see and do and adjust to.

At the same time, I yearn for warmth, and American-ness, and familiarity. Maybe that's the sentiment of my stage in life--not ready to grow up, but certainly not willing to turn the clock backwards in time.

Edinburgh isn't a gigantic city-- it's an interesting one. When my family was here last week, we walked in a couple of vintage clothing stores. My brother tried on a top hat and jacket with coat tails. I bought a 'jumper' or sweater from the 80s. The four of them had the chance to experience the rugged, beautiful Highland coast and the rolling hills of the Scottish Borders (to England). My parents sat down at a pub and had a long conversation with a Scottish guy who joined them. I will certainly miss the friendliness of the Scottish people.

Time is such a mystery. Blink of an eye. You turn around and it's gone. Don't let it pass you by. Etc, etc.

I'm learning how to live in the moment. Scotland has taught me how to laugh, whether at work or play, in a pub or in the middle of a stressful, routine day. I may not have made clear how I feel at the moment, but one thing is for sure. I am grateful for today and for the wonderful city of Edinburgh.

Upcoming happenings:

1) Going to a work conference on the West coast of Scotland.  I'll potentially be meeting the Prime Minister! The little seaside village is below--


2) After the conference, I'm visiting the Isle of Skye, known for its beautiful geography and breath-taking views.


3)A couple of wonderful discoveries.



Rekorderlig Cider--Made in Sweden, such a refreshing drink!
Emma Bridgewater's collections of dishware, teapots, etc. All handpainted in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment