Saturday 21 January 2012

On being a tourist.

If you live somewhere new for more than a couple of weeks, you begin to ask yourself whether or not you instantly appear to be a tourist. Around Edinburgh, I find myself hoping I blend in. Although I'd love to be a local, I am forced to remind myself that I'm not and will not soon be. Today I came to the conclusion that I am going to learn to appreciate my quirky tourist mishaps--my louder, more pretentious, American voice, my large camera, my confusion with coins at the checkout counter, and my tendency to pull out a map at the first sense of being lost. Ah, the joys of travel. Taking out the camera can be a form of surrender and I am learning to overcome this obstacle slowly, but surely.

A walk in the Stockbridge area reminded me of the beautiful spring to come.

Herbie's--I heard of this place from a couple I met at church. Supposedly known for making the best bread in Edinburgh. Olives, wine, and cheese also look like great compliments.


Taking the obligatory phone booth shot. There are a few things you must do when in the UK, cheesy or not.

View from the Stirling Castle--an amazing medieval palace and church occupied by royalty through the 1700s.

 The King's Knot, designed by James I and laid out in 1502. Amazing that the framework for the gardens still survives.

A final shot from Stirling castle that turned out well despite the rain, wind chill, and our shivering. Despite the weather, it was a marvelous day!


 Inside the St. Andrews Castle Ruins.

A view of the beautiful village of St. Andrews-- synonymous for the university town of Prince William and Kate Middleton.


A lunch of fish and chips--would you prefer vinegar or the traditional brown sauce (also heavy on the vinegar)?

Hope you all are staying warm and cozy, while I bundle up winter flurries and Northern Sea breeze. Love you each. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment