Wednesday 1 February 2012

Neeps and Tatties

Hello Everyone,

Sorry it's been awhile. I have been busy running from work to classes and learning how to get around and somehow trying to find time to blog has been a challenge. But I am determined to make time for it!

You may be curious at the title of the post, but neeps are turnips and tatties are potatoes; both are served traditionally with haggis, don't ask what specifically haggis is, but I'll tell you that it's a form of beef. Last week was Burns Night in Scotland, a yearly celebration that commemorates the life of a famous, Scottish poet, Robert Burns. Laura and I met up with a small group from the church we've been attending and had the traditional dinner. It was quite interesting and delicious. Laura was not as keen on the Haggis, but I'm a bit of a foodie and will try anything, so I thought it was all a great experience.


I spent last weekend in Edinburgh, and enjoyed a bit of the beautiful city I can call home for the next few months. I've wandered in the National Museum of Scotland, the National Library, and several other landmark sites. I'm working in the Scottish Parliament, which is a fascinating building in itself. The architecture is based completely on Scottish nationalism, history, and culture. The inside of the building is quite a maze as well. 

Scottish Parliament Building
Scottish people, as I'm learning, are extremely proud of their heritage, country, and roots. As a naive American, I once imagined that the people saw themselves as citizens of the UK, first, but the reverse is more often true. The Scots see themselves as Scottish first and foremost, which is why the independence movement is resonating with a large portion of the population.

I walked over to a Farmer's market on Saturday behind the Edinburgh castle. What a marvelous view!

Vendors were selling sweets, breads, cheeses, porridge (check out Stoat's Porridge--this stuff needs to be back in the US), vegetables, and fresh seafood.

Some pancakes with various jams.

Ah, the Royal Mile and men in kilts! I love the sound of the bagpipes. The music reminds me of what a lovely city I'm in and makes me wish I had a wee bit of Scottish blood in me. My favorite song on the bagpipes has to be "Amazing Grace" so far. 





Sorry for the delay in posting. I promise to do my best to be more regular with the updates. I will be in Glasgow for a portion of the weekend, so look for photos for a post soon. Love you all and miss you. All my best.

Here's a famous Burns song that all Americans should know. Apparently, if you know the second verse, you will impress a good number of Scots. Here's to Robert Burns!

Verse 1:                                                                                                           
Should old acquaintances be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?

Chorus

For auld lang  syne, my dear
For auld Lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o kindness yet,
For auld lang syne!
 

Verse Two:

And there's a hand my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o thine
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught,
For auld lang sine

Chorus  (repeat)

For auld lang  syne, my dear
For auld Lang syne,
We'll
tak a cup o kindness yet,
For auld lang syne!
(Should old acquaintances be forgotten)
(and never remembered)
(Should old acquaintance be forgotten)
(For old long ago)

Chorus

(For old long ago, my dear)
( For old long ago)
(We will take a cup of kindness yet)
(For old long ago)



(And there is a hand my trust friend)
(And give me a hand of yours)
(And we will take of a good drink/toast)
(For old long ago)



(For old long ago, my dear)
( For old long ago)
(We will take a cup of kindness yet)
(For old long ago)






No comments:

Post a Comment