Wednesday 8 February 2012

Glasgow.

We took a group trip to Glasgow and I must say, my heart still lies in Edinburgh. I know I'm already biased and I probably didn't give it enough of a chance, but I truly, truly love the city of Edinburgh. Anyways, it was good to explore a new city and see the sights, so here are a few highlights.

A medieval cathedral that survived the Protestant Reformation in Scotland, built in the 12th century! So ancient and so inspiring. The stained glass was really beautiful.






The University of Glasgow was built in the 1400s and is amazing. I can't imagine going to school in such an old building. The United States seems like an infant relative to the UK. Scots often remind me that Americans, young or old, always have the energy of a youthful person. They're motivated, driven, and dream big. Scots also tend to see Americans as idealistic and perhaps even a bit naive about the world.

The Economics majors imitating our "father," Adam Smith at his alma mater.



You get a little crazy when its below freezing and raining and your feet are soaked, so you just laugh.


Here are a few other things I've managed to do recently:




1. I've found a few parks to run through. After living in NYC for the summer, I learned how much I appreciate grass, trees, and fresh air. Running is not just a great way to see the city, but to also find those spots that make you feel like you've gone on a quick vacation.



2. I tried IRN BRU (pronounced iron bru), a Scottish soda with a very sweet flavor. The soda was banned in the US for containing certain food colorings, but now is adapted and sold by a small importer. The Scottish girls I had dinner with told me Irn Bru was the reason Scots drink less Coke than most European countries.


3. I had tea with a lovely lady I've met through the study abroad program and at church. I'd ask her to have tea sometime a few weeks ago and she said, "Dear goodness me, I'd thought you'd never ask dear!" She told me about an upcoming weekend with her husband and some friends in the Borders region, just South of Edinburgh, her daughter's medical studies, and her love of baking. I might be getting some delicious scone recipes soon!
The tea shop we went to probably had 50 teas on the menu, along with lots of cakes, scones, and cupcakes. So delightful!

I hope everyone is doing well wherever this may find you. I will be in London in a couple days, experiencing life in a huge city with bright lights, good food, and lots of people. Take care and lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment